Blank Slate Kate


Today I have an excerpt from Heather Wardell's book, Blank Slate Kate. Below you will find chapter one. Don't worry, Its a good chapter. My mouth tastes awful, like a thousand people have used it as an ashtray and garbage can. As I try to work up enough spit to swallow, my head begins to pound and my stomach churns. The flu's been going around my high school and I must have caught it. I want to yell for Mom but my throat's too dry, so I force my sleep-sticky eyes open so I can get out of bed. Horror fills me, shocking the sick feelings away. I'm not in my bed. I'm in a strange bed facing a sleeping guy. A guy I don't know. An old guy. I can't breathe. Did I lose my virginity to him last night? I was going to wait until I got married. What happened? How did I end up here? I scrabble backward and half-fall out of the bed, but before I can run away dizziness sweeps me and I throw up on the worn rug between my feet. The guy blinks and sits up. Kate? You okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment